10.05.2004

Wal-Mart: Slashing everything...

Slashing can be used only for one thing: cutting things. Wal-Mart is know for cutting prices. Sure, that maybe true. But what else is Wal-Mart slashing?

I've been reading tonight several different articles about the badness of Wal-Mart. I was spurred by seeing a few commercials they have produced claiming that workers at their stores are happy people. So far, I have seen two different 30 second spots this week. I'm not sure when they first came out but I can be sure that they appeared shortly after this report about Wal-Mart and California that was published in early August of this year. I don't know if I need to rehash everything that's been said before. I certainly don't have anything new to add. "Don't buy Wal-Mart", "Wal-Mart is the Devil", blah blah, etc...In some what defense of their questionable pay practices, back in June, Wal-Mart announced an overhaul of they pay structure. It will probably result to a whole bunch of nothing. I dunno. I'm not an employee there. Not now, not ever.

I read one story where back in 2000, a bunch of meat cutters at one store decided to unionize. However, Wal-Mart one upped them and decided to kill off all the meat cutter departments in all the stores and go with pre-wrapped stuff. That seems mighty drastic, specially for just one store. It would be an interesting experiment to see if at one store if all the clothing employees would unionize. Clothing is a big chunk of change for Wal-Mart, I'm sure. Could they or would they do the same thing?

I really do try not to go there. I had to get a battery there the other day, but it wasn't my money buying it. Yet a tightrope I walk. Anyway, I thought I throw this out. Kind of ho-hum. Just remember, I like to write. :)

3 comments:

Keith said...

Yeah, we can only hope. Probably not cause it would appear that they have a strangle-hold on suppliers. If the suppliers don't do their wishes, they find another and the first supplier goes out to pasture.

Katrina Gutleben said...

I used to shop at Wal-mart. Because they carried a brand of diapers I really liked which were better and cheaper than any other anywhere ever. But since I became too poor to buy diapers anymore I've stopped shopping there altogether.

It's a sad thing though when one is too poor to shop at Walmart! ;-)

calculon said...

Wal-Mart FUCKIN' SUCKS!!! I will not step foot in that anti-union, shitty wage paying pile of shit no matter what a good deal I can get there! That was probably a little soft, let me tell you how I REALLY feel about them....