2.16.2004

Jobless in America

That should really say Jobless in Richland, but really, who really cares? Anyway, when I say jobless, I refer to myself. When I had my hopes raised in August, when I was still working at my internship at PNNL, this really didn't occur to me, being jobless that is. I finally had a job over the summer and they told me that they would be able to pick me up till at least June of 2004. I was stoked! But then weeks before their fiscal year was gonna end, the project manager came up to me and told me the news. The budget that gets approved by congress hasn't been approved yet. So, what's new? Then she goes on to tell me that some upper management dude (I don't recall his name as his name was the last thing on my mind at the time) said that they need to let go all the students working in the groups he managed. So, long story short, the cycle of borrowing money, not paying things on time began anew. So, here I sit today.

In about two weeks, the last of my money from financial aid will run out. The money should have lasted longer, but I was busy using it to pay for stuff I missed in the previous months. That's also another nasty thing in the cycle. Using money to pay for the future to pay for the past.

I know you are all going, "go get a stupid job, dumbass. sheesh" And, I think we all know that's easier said than done. I could go get an minimum wage job but it simply won't cover all the bills I have per month. "Dumbass, you shouldn't have all those bills in the first place." True, there was a time when I could have deviated from my normal trend of spending money to the conserve mode and I wouldn't be in as deep as I am now. But, woulda, coulda, shoulda. I can also hear the comments "But at least you'll have some money coming in." Some might as well be none. Also, I'm essiatially going to school full time right now, at least until the middle of March when I drop down to two classes. And, of course that's another problem. I may not even have any money to pay for the tutition for my last class. My last class for my BA in Computer Science. And I won't be able to pay for it. I always love getting right up to my goal and having it snatched away and hearing a booming, evil laughter in the background. But back to the full time thing, to work full time at a mini-wage between the times I have to be at work and attempt to do homework isn't feasiable. "Yeah it is, fooking dumbass" Shut up you! *bitch slaps voice in head*

So, I guess I'm just whining about myself here. I'm hoping that some my contacts back at PNNL will hear of something. Or I can hope for a winning lotto ticket. Or, even better, I can go find me some Romulan blood ale, with gummy worms, and forget all of this.

No comments: