1.18.2004

Roadmap to: Creating Games

This is the first goal listed, for good reason. It is something I want to do for a long time coming. Games are interesting, challenging, and like, movies and the theater, can change a person's view on life. This goal came about from the desire to make games that are better than what is available now. This was more than ten years past though. I'm still not to a point where I can create a game better than what is currently available. I could blame the ever changing technology trend. I could say that making a game in the early 90s pre-DirectX was like forging a fine piece of jewerly from a lump of coal. Both are the whining of an undedicated man who deserves no cheese. Wine, cheese....get it? Nevermind....

So, the path to creating games has been littered with unread books, untested knowledge, and a long list of college classes that have no meaning. So really, a bunch of time wasted. I'm still along that path to the goal of creating great games though. As varied and widespread as it is. Here are a few of the milestones that I will use set my path straight to the goal I want to be at:


  • Finish 3rd Quarter Calculus with the greater understanding of Math as applied to 3D objects

  • Finish Duck/hunter game with Game Development Club members

  • Research new directions for games

  • Learn the technology required to make the games

  • Interest others into a collaboration

  • Learn the business side of creating games as related to owning your own business

  • Getting into the Game Industry itself

  • Daily focus to see the end of my path


In the previous post, there is a link to articles on how to motivate yourself and/or others. There within was the suggestion of creating a "due date" for your goals or they are just dreams. There are only two definite dates in the milestones above, daily focus and the end of the quarter for calculus. I've also heard of story about Jim Carey and how he wrote himself a million dollar check just before he came to Hollywood. He post dated the check for some amount of time, I forget how long, but he managed to cash that check by the time on the check. I can see the sense in doing this. So, with that said, here is the time that I will give myself to achieve this batch of milestones:

3 years

There you have it. 3 years from today, January 18th 2004. Using the daily focus goal, I will achieve this. Please keep track of this to chart my progress.

No comments: