7.10.2005

The Joy of new computer parts

But first, Voltron gets served.

So, this last check was nice. It is one of three this month. And you know what that means? New computer parts!! And what's cooler is I'm getting parts for two computers! I would have liked to spend it all on me. After all, my computer is a development platform for games. :P

So, what I got for my computer is:


  • 80GB SATA hard drive

  • Asus nVidia 6600 video card with a whooping 128 megs of ram!

  • DVD writer


Here's what I got for Dawn's computer:


  • my old 40GB IDE hard drive up from two ~10GB drives

  • Asus nVidia 5200 video card with a whooping 128 megs of ram!(which is a lot compared to what was in there before)

  • A new motherboard with an AMD Athlon XP 2700+ processor and associated CPU fan

  • 512MB of PC3200 RAM up from 256MB of PC133

  • my old DVD-ROM drive (once I find some rails for the case)


While installing her pieces yesterday, I found that one of her cooling fans was dead. I decided to take it out. Probably a good thing I did that as it felt hot to the touch. I can't believe it didn't burn up. Earlier in the day I had bought a new fan that I was going to use in the back of the case. The bad one was in the front. I still put the new fan in back as I think it will benefit the cooling of the case better.

I'm going to get her WinXP here this week and install the hard drive later in the week. It was a pain reinstalling winxp on my computer as I guess enough pieces changed to warrant them forcing me to call their upgrade center. I was annoyed. I don't have that issue when installing stuff at work. LOL

Whatever pieces left over are probably going to go into Dave's computer. Or I'll be lazy and just bye him a low end computer. Installing computer parts takes all day. geeze.

Well, this post is losing focus so. Until next time.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

Thanks for doing all that work on my computer. It's running so much faster, yay! You rock.

Katrina Gutleben said...

My husband loves instaling new parts. To bad you live far away because your pain would be his joy... or something like that. :)

Keith said...

While I don't like installing computer parts, they are MY PARTS!! BACK OFF!! Have a nice day. =D