12.13.2004

EA on the warpath

As everybody knows, or should know by now, EA is a questionable company making games created by their slaves...errr I mean their employees. There has been lots of bad press as of late. The bad PR has given rise to an internal memo that acknowledge the problem and said that things were a changing. Somehow, I doubt it.

Anyway, just today, EA announced that they had gotten an exclusive license to use the NFL teams and stadiums. I don't know how many of you play football on your PC or console, but the Madden franchise has been a powerhouse over the last several years. Though, some have said that Madden has started to go the way of it's namesake. I haven't played it so I can't personally make any comments. In any event, this exclusive agreement, other upstart games such as the ESPN franchise that have been given higher ratings and has a higher likability from the users (as we all know critics are jaded) will be doomed. If anybody in the next 5 years wants to play NFL football on their console, it will be from EA.

Well, this doesn't really affect me too much as I don't really like the sports games. Sports should be watched or played, not controlled virtually. However, sports games have generally been a mass market hit. Taking the air out of the other companies will certainly affect how things are done. Does this license starting to show that Microsoft doesn't hold the only software monopoly? I am almost certain that EA is becoming another 800 pound gorilla. This is yet another reason to boycott their games.

On an aside, I said I would start a list of EA published/created games. It's not up yet, but I'll be working on it. Have faith...please. :)

4 comments:

Melonary said...

I didn't know we were supposed to be boycotting them! One of their products is under our Giftmas Tree. Does it help that I bought it used?

Keith said...

Used is ok I guess since that money doesn't go back to EA.

Mir said...

OMG I just realized you must be from rt.com chat/forums! Am I right?

Keith said...

hmm..having never really posted on forums much before, I don't think I am that same fellow. Maybe it's my identical evil twin acting like me to be a poser. That crap head.

Disclaimer: I do not have a twin.