7.16.2007

Paprika - Not your everyday spice

So, being more penniless since getting my car fixed, I had to resort to finding cool and interesting things to do on the Internet. One place that I had been to a while ago is a place for Japanese media, like anime! Check it here at Crunchy Roll. It has a bunch of "unlicensed" tv shows from Japan. Typically, once it becomes licensed (I'm not sure exactly to what that means) they will remove whatever media from the site. It's a good rule I guess. Anyway...

I was cruising the anime section trying to find something I haven't seen before and is still on the site. 86 pages...wasn't looking good till I hit the P section. What did my wander eye see but Paprika, a recently released movie in the States (been out since 2006 in Japan). It was just there...aching for me to watch it. I have seen trailers for it on our copy of Dragonball Z Season 1 (and Season 2 is out if anybody wants to get it for us :P) and thought it looked really cool. So my Saturday night was sealed, with Paprika and a little something-something from the liquor cabinet (the counter next to the freezer).

I hit play and watched. It was amazing! A certain must buy once it comes out DVD here in the States. I haven't seen a realistic anime for such a long time. It was certainly a breath of fresh air. The anime is by Satoshi Kon who also did "Millennium Actress" and "Tokyo Godfathers." I wanted to see "Actress" for a while now. I will certainly be more active in trying to find it.

One of the things I really liked about the movie was the movie score. It was created by Susumu Hirasawa. The theme really stuck with me and not like a horrible jingle you can't get out of your head (you feel like chicken tonight, chicken tonight, chicken tonight!). It was electronica with just the right amount of awesome. The composer wanted to give away his music for free and here's the link to download two songs from the movie. I don't know enough Japaneses to understand but you really don't need to. Download it and find out for yourself.

I really haven't been keeping up with the latest and greatest and clearly it shows. Paprika is actually playing in a theater in Seattle which I really want to go see and you all know me as wanting to go to Seattle all the time. Tis a good movie and you all should watch it. Then buy the DVD.

No comments: