5.28.2005

Halo 2, Xbox Live, and You

So, I enjoy to play a game or two of Halo 2. I also enjoy playing Halo 2 on Xbox Live. However, I don't like playing with you. Well, probably not you, my dear readers, just the collective "you" that represents the a good portion of the players on Xbox Live. Let me explain why.

For those of you who do not know what Xbox Live is, it is Microsoft's own online system to allow people with broadband connections from all over the world to play together. Which is kind of cool. When I play in the wee hours of mornings, I will typically hear the English accents from the UK and occasional will hear people talk in another language all together. It's always fun to be called an "American Wanker" by those on the other side of the Atlantic. And from this is where I don't like playing with you.

I don't know how many times I have been called names for doing something wrong, just not performing at my typical ability, or by winning. I hear it everyday. It's a very rare day indeed when someone will comment on the excellent move or tactics performed. I generally don't include the "Good Game" comments as that is expected. For instance, I was playing in a team slayer game, where the first team who gets to 50 points wins, and the team we were playing against just barely edged us out by one kill. Oh well, I thought. But at the end where you can review the game stats, the leader(with most kills) of the other team decided it would be cool to start saying I could "suck his balls" or some such crap. If you really wanted to break the game down, I had one more point than him (for reference). There are very few players I have encountered that are sore winners, but this guy was the worst of them. I left him two negative feedback thingies though really I have no idea if Bungie pays attention to those things.

The worst is when you are playing on a team and you aren't playing at your best and they start to bitch at you. "You Suck" and other worth while comments fling from their mouths. I remember playing a two-on-two game where my partner got like a 3 or 4 kills before I got my first and he started to say I should just quit. Well, I stayed in the game and we lost. I started to just get myself killed on purpose. In fact that's what I do when my teammates starts saying crap like that. In the case of Capture the Flag and Assault, I do my best to keep the flag or ball away from the target without killing my teammates. If you kill a teammate, then they can boot ya from the game...I don't want that, now do I.

Other times, mostly on team games, the losing team are sore losers. On the maps, there are certain weapons or points that make the player seem invincible. However, all players can be killed. For instance, on the map Ascension (for reference), there's a very high point that can only be gotten there with a flying vehicle, the Banshee. For whatever reason, I have not seen the Banshee on this level for a week or two. But on that game, it was back. Dave was playing on this game and he enjoys to snipe. So he managed to get a banshee and a sniper rifle and flew up to the high point. He managed to kill three guys while up there and never managed to get back to it. However, lots of people frown upon doing this. Some people consider this as "n00bish". Dave was just having fun. And this was a training ground game which basically means that it doesn't count against your ranking. The other team were being pricks, mainly FenderMan92186 and Loki60. They first ripped on one of my other team mates for using snipers for most of the game. Next the started to rip on Dave for snipping from the high point. I was soo fucking pissed.

I can't get away from these immature assholes. They are everywhere on Xbox Live. I also can't tell you how many times I listen to pre-game conservation about being high or drunk or how they "fucked my mom" (this particular comment angers me to no end). I don't like playing with these fucktards. They really have no idea that Halo 2 is merely a game. Win or lose, the world isn't going to end. Hell, if they stopped playing, they might get laid. Some of them seemed that they need it more than Rosy Palm.

I am really beginning to see the real reason why Halo 2 is marked as a M rated game. It's not to keep the innocence away from all the shooting, blood and other violent things. It's to keep the immature away until they realize that Halo 2 is only but a game for entertainment. There's soo much teen angst flowing in Halo 2 that I'm surprised that Xbox Live just doesn't become an evil alive entity and starts to take over the world. Ok, I really don't wonder that. But the hatred is there and it puts a damper on what is normally a good game.

1 comment:

calculon said...

You lost me at Halo 2...

Just kidding! What a bunch of DICKS!! I hate anonymous online assholes.