6.18.2004

Miracle of Life

So, as of Wednesday, I am an official graduate of computer science, unofficially. I actually have to wait till August to make it official official, but I can look past that. There are a few things I'd like to share, nuggets of pure delight, that I have gleamed from my time at school.

First, your ass is indeed connected to your mouth. Yes, it's true. The biology book said so. Well, in not that direct fashion. I kind of summarized five or six chapters. Since the beginning of the time when I have thought about life, I had viewed it with some sort of mystery behind it. We are just alive thingeys walking about, doing stuff. I had the concepts of organs and stuff like that. And when I had to urinate, I just went. I didn't think about it, just did it. Now, after my year long biology lesson, every time I tinkle, I think "Gee, there goes some Urea out the ol' urethra. Good-bye Nitrogen waste, I'll miss you." Now, is that just depressing or what? Other mysteries included the mobility thing. How things move around. See, one neuron from the brain shoots a potential down to the motor cap on the muscle telling it to contract. It goes "YES, I OBEY!". The counterpart muscle "AHHHHHHH" while it relaxes. Every time I move, I'm thinking "Go neurons, Go neurons, It's your birthday..." Ad nauseum. The bottom line of this is that Life isn't so mysterious anymore. We are all big bags of water that secrete urea and use ATP constantly.

My next nugget of knowledge comes from the whole length of my time in the prison...errr school system. It is harder to barely get by than it is to make a conscience effort to actually do well. This last piece of wisdom was clearly appear to me just this last quarter. About half-way through the quarter, I stopped trying to do well and tried to just do. Meaning I only wanted credit. This will add new ulcers to your hole ridden stomach at the end of the quarter. This class was my last class. I needed the credit to finish off my degree. If I didn't get it, I would have shelled out another $350 for one class during the summer. Fortunately, another person is teaching that class. But fortunately, that was pre-empted with my 0.7 grade point. Yes. I totally suck. 0.7 gets credit at WSU and CBC. I didn't write the rules you know. I had worried for a week wondering if I did well enough, would I have to go back to CBC? It just wasn't worth sitting there, waiting, calculating an imaginary grade point. So, with that, when you go out there, just don't do your best, do more than your best because sometimes your best just doesn't cut it.

Well, that's enough insightful from me to last.....ummm....a week. So, until next time, enjoy the nacho platter.

2 comments:

Katrina Gutleben said...

See, that's why I love biology! Yes, it takes away some of the mystery, but it makes things no less amazing. You should see the kids eyes glaze over when I share with them (with WAY too much enthusiam) all the miagulousness that is their scab!! :)

Anonymous said...

I got D's in second terms of organic chemistry and biochemistry. I can't believe that a D is good enough to pass a class, because I didn't learn much. I just didn't get it. That's why I only got a D, see? If I'd actually understood the material I would have got a better grade. It seems like if you really need to know the stuff, that they should make you repeat it unless you get at least a C. I guess I learned enough to get through the science of my nutrition classes, anyway.
Melonary